Arthrities Prevention and Treatment through Unani, Home Remedies, Yoga, Ayurveda, and Naturopathy
Arthritis means joint inflammation and refers to a group of diseases that cause pain, swelling, stiffness, and loss of motion in the joints. The lining of joints swells and may stretch the ligaments so the joints lose their strength and stability. Arthritis is often used as a more general term to refer to the more than 100 rheumatic diseases yet the two important forms are— osteoarthritis and rheumatoid. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease while rheumatoid not only affect the joints but also muscles, tendons and other tissue of the body.
The problem of Arthritis can be cure through alternative medicine or traditional medicine. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like yoga, ayurveda, naturopathy, homeopathy, unani, siddha, acupuncture, acupressure, diet, etc. has enough potential and remedial measures in treating of Arthritis. Home remedies, preventions and precautions are also important aspects in minimizing the effect of Arthritis.
Osteoarthritis occurs as the protective, cushiony cartilage covering the bones softens & wears and tears away, resulting in bones rubbing together painfully. This friction causes joint pain and swelling, and worsens as the cartilage breaks down further. Osteoarthritis most commonly affects the hands, hips, knee and spine, and worsens with age. Osteoarthritis usually occurs after age of 50 years.
Symptoms and Signs of Osteoarthritis
- Pain gets worse during the day
- Joint instability
- Hard, and bony enlargement of small joints like fingers
- Variable swelling and/or instability
- Acute pain due to stiffness, and worsen as the day progress
- Crackling sound while moving the joints
- Can affect any part of the body
- Knees problem is often associated with excess upper body weight.
- Muscles around the joints gradually become weak.
- The joints swell and experiencing soring.
- At the worsen condition, deformity of joints occur.
- Moveability drastically reduced.
- Often targetting weight bearing joints like hip, knee, spine, fingers etc.
Cause of Osteoarthritis
The causes of osteoarthritis are varied.
- People with diabetes, acromegaly, hypothyroidism and obesity are prone to osteoarthritis.
- With elderly people, water accusation in the cartilage zone increases and protein make up of the cartilage degenerates.
- Unsymmetrical legs length, hip dislocation and double jointedness.
- Genetic defect which causes collagen disturbances.
- Loss of sensation leads to injury to body parts.
- Wearing and tearing of joints with elderly people, athlete, and laborers.
- Joints fractured experienced by players like basketball, football, or soccer is prone to it.
- Underused joints during inactivity may become stiff, painful, dysfunctional, and prone to injury and osteoarthritis.
- Joints strained due to heavy excess weight
- Lifestyle: Fast Life leads to Early Aging
- Family tendency
- Injured Joints due to trauma
Risk Factors of Osteoarthritis
- Age: 75% of persons over age 70 have OA
- Lack of Exercise
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is one of the common arthritis to affect adults .It is estimated to affect 0.25 –0.5% of the adult population. It is a chronic disease like diabetes and hypertension. RA is an important cause for disability, loss of function and loss of job in adulthood. Apart from the affected person, the care giver (usually the spouse) also suffers equally though not in the same way. It can lead to depression, interpersonal conflict, marital disharmony. So it is considered as a social disease .If not treated adequately from the early period, it can lead to crippling deformities, difficulties in job, self care and some patients may become bedridden.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis:
The exact cause of RA remains unknown. It is not due to a single cause. Combinations of genetic, environmental factors, psychological stress trigger an abnormal immune response.
Symptoms and Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The most important symptom of rheumatoid arthritis is morning stiffness that lasts for an hour. Depending on the degree of tissue inflammation, arthritis symptom is not static. Symptoms during activeness of the disease
- Loss of energy,
- Lack of appetite,
- weight loss
- Dryness in eyes and Mouth
- Chest pain with shortness of breath
- Swelling and pain in the inflamed joints
- Deformities in the hands and feet
- Pain, swelling, stiffness, inactivity and tenderness in Joints
- Arthritis problem in Ankle, Finger, Foot and Wrist
- Neck pain
- Small bumps termed as nodules may appear around inflamed joints.
- Widespread muscle aches
- Anemia due to failure of the bone marrow to produce enough new red cells
- Eye burning, itching, and discharge
- Limited range of motion
- Skin redness or inflammation
- Swollen glands
- Symmetric arthritis
- Rheumatoid nodules
Tests and Diagnosis of Arthritis
- C-reactive protein test ( CRP)- show inflammation and activity of the disease
- Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide Antibody (CCP)
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) - show inflammation in the body.
- ultrasound or MRI
- Joint x-rays
- Synovial fluid analysis
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)-evaluate and monitor complication of RBC and WBC.
- Rheumatoid factor (RF) – used to help diagnose RA.
Complications of Arthritis
- Rheumatoid nodules-lumps of tissue
- Eye Complications-red and painful
- Heart and Blood Vessel Disease- thickening and tightening of membranes
- Reduction in Red Blood Corpuscles (RBCs) leads to anemia
- Inflammation of lung membrane leads to to pleuritis and fluid collection
- Susceptibility to Infection increases
- debilitating and disfiguring of joints
- Injury to the spinal cord when the neck bones becomes unstable
- Peripheral Neuropathy in tingling, numbness.
- Muscle weakens.
- Skin complications like rash, ulcers, blisters, lumps under the skin, etc.
- Bone density (osteoporosis) decreases, especially with postmenopausal women
- Periodontal Disease is frequent.
- Chronic joint pain and Joint stiffness.
- Social complications.
- Development of colorectal cancers in the patients.
- Blood vessel inflammation
- Salivary gland inflammation
Yoga for Arthritis
- Trikonasana: It loosens up the muscles and joints of the whole body. In fact, revitalize the entire body system.
- Katichakrasana (the waist rotating pose): It tones up the waist, back and hip joints, useful for removing spinal stiffness and gives the feeling of lightness.
- Tadasana (the palm tree pose): The body is stretched, which loosen up the entire spinal column from top to bottom.
- Janu Sirshasana ( the head to knee pose): It loosen up legs and back muscles.
- Gomukhasana ( the cow’s face): This asana directly helps to remove stiffness in the spine, neck and shoulders.
- Bhujangasana ( the cobra pose): Cortisone is associated with the occurrence of rheumatism. Bhujangasana helps to maintain and encourage the correct secretion of this hormone and found very effective in alleviating rheumatism.
- Pada Hastasana ( the foot-hand pose): It is a good asana to relieve pain from spinal nerves.
- Vajrasana helps to hold the spine straight.
- Single leg raise, stretching of shoulder, Neck exercise, hand clenching, wrist and ankle bending and ankle rotation also show positive impact for Arthritis.
- Relaxation Poses like Shavasana, Makrasana and Balasana is also important
- Simple Pranayama like deep breathing, Inhalation through right nostril and exhalation via both nostrils is also useful for arthritis.
- Surya Namaskar (Salutation to the Sun): Excellent Yoga poses to loosen up the entire body and joints. It also reduces inflammation.
Yogic Management for Diabetes
The management of Arthritis is done at all the five levels of the Païca Koça.
Joint loosening exercises like Shakti vikäsaka, Sükñma Vyäyäma, Asanas, Relaxation Techniques (IRT, QRT, DRT), kriyas like jalaneti, sutraneti.
Nadishodana Pranayama, Suryabhedana pranayama and Bhramari pranayama. Pranic Energisation Technique (PET)
OM meditation, Nädänusandhäna, devotional sessions
Notional correction and Yogic Counseling
To correct the pattern of tension – ridden working style to a new style of working with joy (Karma Yoga)
Ayurveda and Arthritis Treatment
Ayurveda treats arthritis through strengthening the metabolic pathways, making digestion vigouring and smooth functioning, and improving joints lubrication. Here, few of the ayuredic herbal remedies and arthritis control tips are being mentioned.
- Take a glass of water + lemon juice (morning and evening).
- 12-24 ml of castor oil to be taken with warm water for purgative once a day. It is known ayurvedic remedies for arthritis.
- Castor oil -7ml. to be taken with 250 ml. cow’s milk once a day as a ayurvedic arthritis solution.
- Decoction of equal part of Guduci and Triphala-14 to 28 ml. to be taken thrice a day.
- Fenugreek leaves is too used for swelling and stiffness.
- Apply the paste of cinnamon on the swelling joints.
- Massage of ayurvedic herbs like sesame oil is beneficial for arthritis remdedy.
- Massage with honey + warm water+ cinnamon powder relieves from pain. It is good herbal product for arthritis remedy.
- Use more and more of herbs like cumin, coriander, ginger, asafetida, garlic, fennel and turmeric with your foods
- Moderate fasting also show positive impacts on pain.
- Juices rich in vitamin C fight pain, at the skeleton region.
- Take hot water bath
- Avoid cold breeze and coldness
- Camphor, wintergreen and cinnamon oils are beneficial for external application.
- 1-3 gm of Guggul to be taken thrice a day with warm water as Guggul cleaning and strengthening the bone tissue.
- Take leaf of Sambhalu-2gm., leaf of Bael-2gm., root of china flower-2gm., juice of ginger-5-10 ml. and make a paste. It may be taken with 1 gm. Of rock salt thrice a day.
- Decoction of equal part of bulb of garlic, roots of castor + dried ginger + fruits of fennel to be taken 14 to 28 ml. dose thrice a day. The mix is an effective ayurvedic cure for arthritis.
- Powder root of bark of turpeth-1gm. To be taken with 5-10 gm. of ghee thrice a day as an arthritis ayurvedic remedies.
Homeopathic Remedy for Arthritis
Favourable result may be achieved in arthritis through Homeopathic treatment.
- Colchicum is used with acute swelling and extreme tenderness.
- Ledum is a useful remedy in gout and a good homeopathy cure for arthritis.
- Rhus tox- is a good measure for inflamed joints.
- Bryonia- uses this when pain is felt during movement.
- Apis mel-when there is stinging pain and swelling in the affected joint.
- Causticum- used with stiffness of joints.
- Pulsatilla-When pain is variable in nature.
- Belladona- Used this with inflamed joints as a natural arthritis remedy.
Natural Treatment for Arthritis
- Massage with mustard/olive/sesame oil easier joint movements and helps in physical activity. It is an effective nature cure treatment for arthritis.
- Ice massage to joints during inflammation and hot bag application when there is no inflammation is recommended arthritis treatment.
- Juice of green leaf vegetables+ carrot + red beet juice are good as a natural cure for arthritis.
- Steam bath gives from widespread muscles ache.
- Bromelain enzymes in pineapple reduce swelling and inflammation in arthritis. A natural remedy for arthritis.
- Raw potato juice is quite effective for arthritis.
- Water kept overnight in a copper vessel is quite effective for arthritis.
- Take warm water + fresh lime on empty stomach in the morning.
- Sun bath for 10 to 15 minutes is preferred to loosen the joints.
- Chromo therapy is good to lessen inflammation.
- Mud packs help in reducing inflammation of joints.
- Black sesame is effective in preventing joints pain.
- Garlic has anti-inflammatory property and use as herbal medicine.
- Tea from alfalfa is beneficial for arthritis.
- Vitamin A&D play major role in preventing of arthritis.
- Dry massage, fomentation with hot sand bags is helpful in reducing pain.
- Acupuncture, Reflexology and Acupressure is beneficial to ease from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid.
- Massage to joints followed by infrared application to joints helps to reduce stiffness.
- Fasting with carrot juice/lemon juice/potato juice is recommended.
- Hydrotherapy is beneficial for pain in arthritis.
Naturopathy and Arthritis
- To reduce pain
- To reduce inflammation
- To reduce stiffness
- To improve the range of motion
- To improve the muscle strength
- To improve stability
- To improve flexibility
- To maintain / reduce body weight
- To improve physical & psychological well being
Home Remedies for Arthritis
- Cayenne Pepper extract due to its widespread wonderful result for arthritis.
- Give more thrust on Coconut water & milk, and also used juices of carrot, beet and cucumber as a natural remedy for arthritis.
- Emu Oil is good for swollen joints and provides long term benefits.
- Fresh pineapple juice helps to lessen swelling and inflammation in joints.
- Do massage the effected joints with olive oil. A known home remedy for arthritis.
- Body massage + Steam bath are worthwhile for arthritis.
- Take nutrients like Vitamin C, Calcium and Zinc.
- Have 1 glass of Potato juice in the morning (equal proportion of potato and water.
- Warm rubbing of vinegar in the affected joints.
- Put camphor and mustard oil in the sunlight unless camphor melt and use the same in the affected joints.
- Take ginger powder along with water to relieve from pain.
- Stiffness of joints can be minimized if some one take bath by putting some quantity of Epsom salt
- 1 glass solution (water + ½ teaspoon turmeric) twice a day.
- Massage of castor oil is a herbal therapy and fruitful for arthritis.
- The patient should sit in warm water to reduce pain.
- Lemon juice with honey cures arthritis.
- Turmeric powder + warm water cure arthritis.
- Guggulu, a plant, effective for arthritis.
Unani and Arthritis
Unani medicine plays a major role in curing of arthritis. Unani is a form of complementary medicine that has diverse functions in the treatment of arthritis.
- Make a fine powder of 25 gram each of Ajwain Khurasani, Madar flower, Sonth, and Suranjan talkh and add 300 ml. of Sesame oil and boil the mixture until the powder is brunt. Strain the product and kept it in a bottle. Massage the product gently with lukewarm oil on the joints. The result is pleasurable and unani remedy for arthritis.
- Boil 50 gram of Arand root in 2 litres of water and reduce it to a half a litre. Strain it properly and mix with 250 ml. of Sesame oil. Boil till the water evaporates and only oil left remains. Massage the product gently with lukewarm oil on the joints to reduce swelling, inflammation and stiffness.
- Boil 4 Dahtura fruits in 250 ml. of Mustard oil until the fruits are brunt. Strain it and take the product in a bottle. Massage it with lukewarm oil on the affected joints to get good results.
- Make a fine powder of 30 gram each of Asgand, Suranjan, Ispand and Khulanjan. Make a fine powder of the mixture and preserve it properly. Take 3 gram of it with water twice a day.
- Take a 20 gram each of Ajwain Khurasani, Black peeper, Elva and Burunt Suhaga. Make a fine powder of first four drugs, mix with sufficient quantity of pulp of gheekuwar and make Bengal gram size pills. 4 pills with water twice a day is recommended for arthritic patients.
Diet and Arthritis
A low calorie diet of 2000 calories with minimum carbohydrate is advisable. Diet should be rich in vitamin, calcium, magnesium and iron. Fresh raw vegetables in the form of salads are preferred. Vegetable juice therapy is also advisable in chronic condition. Treating arthritis through diet is an effective step, therefore it is recommended to make sure your intake on around of 2000 calories. As diet for arthritis is an important factor, so one should consult a dietician for food chart, diet therapy and food pyramid.
Diet Schedule and chart for arthritis
5:00 am to 6:00 am: Drink two glasses of water in empty stomach (Ushapanam), daily activities, prescribed Asanas, Pranayama, Meditation and exercises.
7:00 am to 8:00 am- Breakfast: Seasonal fruits – Apple, Pears, sapota, Banana, Guava and Milk + Dry grapes + Figs/sprouted green gram, wheat, Alfa-alfa, Carrot/ Spinach Soup/ Ragi porridge
9:00 am – Treatments
Enema, Mud pack to abdomen, Oil application to joints and sun bath, warm water affusion
11:00 am to 12:00pm - Lunch: Rice/ Ragi Ball/ Whole wheat / Bajra/ Ragi roti, boiled vegetable curry with less oil and spices, Green gram dhal/green leafy soup/Amla + coriander chutney.
3:00 pm to 4:00pm – Seasonal fruits to be taken as like in the morning/Carrot juice/ Herbal tea
6:00pm to 7:00pm - Whole wheat/ Ragi/ Bajra roti, boiled vegetable curry with less oil and spices, salad / Wheat dhaliya + green vegetables/green vegetable soups.
Food to avoid: Tea, Coffee, Sugar/candy, Maida products, Garam masala, Fried and Oily items, Egg, Non-veg etc.
Preventions & Precautions for Arthritis
- Avoid aerated water, all cheese, all soup from meat stock, rice, white flour products, ice-cream.
- Avoid curds, fish, urad dal, and constipating food.
- Reduce eating hot, spicy and fried foods.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and chocolate.
- Keep yourself away from stress, tension, anxiety, fear and grief.
- Avoid cold as it may cause spasm and increases the pain.
- Avoid hot applications during swelling.
- Reduce the intake of gas producing foods like sweet potato, yam, and legumes.
- Do hot water exercises as soon as get in the morning to relive the stiffness.
- The body should be warm at all the times.
- Joints should not be bandaged tightly as it limits movement and interfere with blood circulation.
- Rest is the prime factor to relieve from pains.
- Fomented foods should be avoided.