Hair loss Management, Treatment and Control through Yoga, Diet, Ayurveda and Homeopathy
Hair loss is a common problem with both men and women. Some experiences less hair fall while it is acute with others. Normal hair break up is about 50-100 strands per day. Though, it is replaced by new ones, however, aging, hereditary and hormonal change contributes permanent loss of hair.
The problem of Hair loss can be solved through alternative system of medicine or alternative medicine. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like yoga, ayurveda, naturopathy, homeopathy, unani, siddha, acupuncture, acupressure, diet, etc. has enough potential and remedial measures in curing of Hair loss. Home remedies, preventions and precautions are also important aspects in minimizing Hair loss.
Hair Loss Signs & Symptoms
What are the Signs of Hair Loss?
The signs of hair loss in men, women, children or adult comprise the following aspects.
- In case of Men: Scalp hair getting thin or complete hair loss. Horseshoe shaped is also one the prominent features.
- In case of Women: Thinning or diffused hair at the crown. Stress plays the greater role.
- In case of children: Abrupt loss of hair from certain parts of the scalp.
- Loss of hair in patches or Alopecia Areata which is reversible.
- Steady hair loss on the top or called Male Pattern Baldness.
- Telogen effluvium: hair loss after great illness or stress.
- Male baldness (androgenetic alopecia) starts from the hairline.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Lice problem or Pediculosis.
- Frequent combing.
- Blow dryers
- Hereditary factor i.e. father or grandfather has the tendency of losing hair and leads to Male pattern baldness.
- Pregnancy due to hormonal changes
- Child birth and Birth Control Pill
- Major surgery
- Polycystic Ovaries
- Skin Disease like Ringworm and Psoriasis.
- Thyroid Disease –Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism
- Drugs for Chemotherapy, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Acne are important cause of Hair Loss
- Disease like Addison disease, Scarring, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Syphilis, Vitiligo too causes thinning hair
- Iron Deficiency-Anemia
- Hypervitaminosis A
- Anti-coagulants like warfarin and heparin.
- Seizure medication
- Fungal infection.
- Nervous habit
- Blood pressure medication
- Drugs like Anti-inflammatory one
- Drugs to low Cholesterol
- Oral contraceptive and diet pills.
Reason for hair loss
- Sickness and infectious diseases
- Toxic chemicals.
- Harmful radiation
- Medication for Parkinson disease.
- Ulcer drugs
- Lower level of Estrogen and Higher level of Androgen Hormone
Hairloss in Woman
Hair fall or thinning of hair is common among the women. About 20%- 50% women faced hair loss at some stages of her life. Hair loss in women is heartbreaking, may affect marital life, career, job opportunities, social networking etc. Depression, stress, anxiety are also the factor with hair loss women. However, baldness among women is rare. Though, causes of hair loss in women are same as that of the general causes as mentioned above. Some of the important factors and related aspect with hair loss of women.
Causes and Risk Factors of women hair loss:
- Control of birth pill
- Rapid weight loss.
- Prescribed medications
- Lack of proper vitamins and nutrients in diet.
- Hair styling treatment.
- Immune diseases and disorders.
- Chemo and radiation therapy.
- Hormonal changes.
- Not consuming enough protein.
- Trichotillomania-Hair loss is patchy.
- Alopecia areata-Diffuse hair loss.
- Triangular alopecia
- Scarring alopecia-dominant in case of women.
- Telogen effluvium-shedding of hair is more common.
- Scalp infection.
- Low level of Estrogen
- Temporary hair loss is also caused due to high fever, general anesthesia, drug treatments, hormonal imbalance, etc.
Hair loss after Delivery/Pregnancy
All the ladies face hair loss after pregnancy but the quantum of hair fall is more with some moms. It is happened due to hormonal changes in the body. Falling of hair start 12 weeks of delivery. Though normal hair fall is 75-100 hairs/ day, but after delivery, moms generally loss about 500 hair/day. However, within six months, it is back like as pre-pregnancy.
Diagnosis and Tests of Hair Loss
The following tests may be done for women hair loss
- Hormone levels-Testosterone, Prolactin, Follicular Stimulating Hormone(FSH) and Leutinizing Hormone(LH).
- Scalp biopsy.
- Hair Pull test
- Hair Pluck Test
- Serum iron
- Serum feritin
- TIBC-Total Iron Binding Capacity
- Complete Blood Count(CBC)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone ( T3, T4)
- Screening test for syphilis-VDRL
Questions for your Doctor regarding Hair Loss
- What are symptoms of hair fall?
- What are the factors and causes for hair loss?
- Whether diet is related to hair fall?
- Whether medication is helpful to prevent hair loss?
- How it can be corrected?
- How damage hair can re-grow?
- Is hair fall a hereditary factor?
Yoga for Hair Loss and Control
The practice of Yoga not only makes you fit and fine, it also gives your body a beautiful look by protecting your hair and making it internally stronger. Yoga is beneficial for hair growth as it increases blood circulation to head and scalp region.
- Vajrasana( the thunderbolt pose) is useful for the treatment of hair loss.
- Stress, tension and anxiety are common causes of hair loss. Relaxation techniques and meditation are quite effective to reduce stress.
- Shirsasana( the headstand pose) enhances blood circulation to the scalp and promote hair growth
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose) this asana is quite effective in increasing blood supply to the scalp region and prevent hair loss.
- Bhujangasana (the cobra pose) improves blood circulation in vertebral column thereby facilitate better communication between the brain and body.
- Kapalabhati( Frontal lobe cleansing technique) energizes the mind and clear the frontal lobe of the brain by speeding up the blood flow.
- Anuloma viloma (Alternative Breathing) refresh your entire body organ, especially the brain part and help in the strengthening of hair and hair follicles.
- Pranayama acts like as panacea and quite beneficial for hair care and in curing of baldness. It also helps in stopping of hair fall.
- The other asana that is too useful in reducing of hair fall, hair loss and baldness are Shashank asana ( the pose of the moon), Ushtrasana ( the camel pose), Pawanmuktasana (the knee to chest pose), Uttanasana (Bending straight forward pose) and Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hairloss
Due to effectiveness of ayurveda, Modern Doctor is prescribing alternative medicine too for hair fall and baldness. Ayurveda can play a greater role for hair fall treatment. Here, some important ayurvedic hair solution, hair fall control tips and hair fall treatments are given.
- Massage with ayurvedic oil: Massage with coconut oil/ brahmir/ bhringaraj oil the scalp prevents hair loss. It is an effective ayurvedic hair loss treatment.
- Natural remedy as Vitamin E oil massage reduces hair loss.
- Ayurvedic Diet: Eating of white sesame seeds is beneficial and used as natural hair loss treatment.
- Taking of Yogurt too strengthen hair and control hair fall.
- Ayurvedic Herbs like Dashamoola, Bhringara and Jatamamsi are used to make hairs strong.
- Diet rich in Vitamin B and C, is good for hair growth.
- Fruits, leafy vegetables and milk make hair shining and stronger
- Mashed and mixed components of beans +fenugreek are beneficial for hair.
- Sesame seeds and sesame seed oil is used in the treatment of hair as herbal hair loss remedy.
- Reduced junk food and extra calorie make your healthy.
- Massage of camphor + coconut oil makes your scalp healthy and prevents hair loss.
- Rub the mix of Castor oil + Mustard oil + Coconut oil to make your hair stronger.
- Water of boil neem leaves is useful for hair.
- Eat the mix of Ginger + honey.
- Rub the head after washing hair as it stimulates sebaceous gland thereby improves blood circulation
- Massage of honey + egg yolk on your scalp is an effective ayurvedic remedy for hair loss.
- Take mix of lettuce and spinach juice to prevent hair loss.
- Application of Coconut + Lime juice is also good.
- Combination of alfalfa juice + carrot juice + lettuce juice helps to grow hair well.
- Take more and more quantity of water as it flush out toxins from the body.
- Use mustard oil regularly as it is helpful inn curing of baldness.
Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies for Hair Loss
Hair fall and baldness are caused due to many factors like aging, heredity, testosterone, etc. Homeopathy remedy for baldness and homeopathic medicine and hair loss are being used by the people worldwide.
- Arsenicum Album-It is prescribed when hair loss is caused due to depression and anxiety. This is a suitable homeopathy cure for hair loss.
- Graphites and Thuja- is useful when hair fall along with stomach disorders.
- Silicea-a beneficial remedy for hair loss.
- Phosphorous-when hair is fall due to clump and dandruff.
- Lycopodium-is given for pre maturing of grey hair. It is an appropriate natural hair loss remedy.
- Kali carbonicum-useful in case of thinning hair.
Hair Control Tips
- Rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar + sage tea for proper hair growth.
- Herbal serum is quite effective for hair fall control.
- Paste of Licorice extracts + Milk induces hair growth.
- Mix of lemon seeds + black berry is useful for bald patches.
- Wash your scalp with Urad Dal + Methi.
Hair Loss and Naturopathy Treatment
There are various natural remedies available for hair loss treatment.
- Gentle scalp massage improves blood circulation and stimulates hair re-grow.
- Massage with Amla/Bhringaasava /sesame oil/ coconut oil/ rosemary oil/lavender oil/ cedar wood is good nature cure treatment for hair loss.
- Vitamin E oil massage strengthens the fragile hair.
- Intake of pro-inflammatory foods like dairy products, animal products should be avoided.
- Fresh vegetables, sprouts, legumes, soy etc. should be preferred.
- Minerals like Silica strengthen hair so one should give more importance to potatoes, cucumbers and sprouts.
- Acupuncture is too recommended for hair loss treatment.
- Aloe Vera is good for hair loss treatment as it heals the scalp and cleansing the pores.
- Henna is superb for shining hair as it repair the cuticle and protects hair from thinning.
- For the proper growth of hair, grape extract and vitamin B may be used.
- Herbs like ginkgo biloba, bilberry and palmetto are the natural remedy for hair loss.
Reflexology and Hair loss Treatment
- Buffing of the fingernails of one hand to another may cure related to scalp problems
Home Remedy for Hair Loss
- Mix Amla + shikaki powder with curd and use it on the scalp for shining hair. This is a home made remedy to check hair fall
- Massage with aroma oils reduces hair fall and keep one away from baldness.
- Rinse your hair with lemon juice as effective home remedial measures to prevent baldness.
- Dip a towel in hot water, squeeze it, after then cover your hair. It is a helpful home remedy in preventing of hair loss.
- Outer cover of lemon and oranges helps to maintain shining hair and remove dandruff too.
- Massage the scalp with soaked fenugreek seeds. Wrap the scalp for about 2 hours to treat hair loss. It is a supportive home remedy for hair fall.
- Apply the mix of curd; lemon and mustard oil on your scalp and wash it after 30 minutes. It is an effective natural remedy for baldness
- Take more and more quantity of water along with fresh fruits and green vegetables.
- Boil mustard oil + mehndi leaves for protection of hair and do used as herbal therapy for hair loss
- Massage egg yolk on your scalp for healthy hair care.
- Smearing of henna over scalp is beneficial for hair growth.
- Natural mild shampoo-lemon, titri, rosemary, is preferred.
- The product of amla + coconut oil is helpful in preventing of hair loss.
- Boil the hibiscus leaves in water. it may be used on the scalp before washing hair by mild shampoo.
- Rubbing of olive oil reduces hair loss.
- Boil mustard seed for 5-10 minutes, cool it and drink
- Rub the scalp smoothly to make the sebaceous gland active thereby increases blood circulation, hence helps in preventing hair loss.
- Dry piece of Amla + coconut oil act like as a hair tonic.
- Rub the bald are with onion after then apply honey, it’s a natural home remedy for baldness.
- Application of fresh Amaranth juice to hair follicles makes the hair soft and shining.
- Apply the mix of olive oil + rosemary +lemon juice + egg yolk to strengthen the hair follicles.
- Extract of coriander leaves is useful for hair loss.
- Rub the scalp with olive oil + cumin.
- Coconut milk is beneficial for hair loss.
- Rub the mix of lettuce + spinach is useful to reduce hair loss.
- Juice of alfalfa + Carrot + lettuce, a wonderful remedy hair growth.
Diet and Hair Loss
For proper growth of hair, there is a need of healthy and balanced diet where the proportion of Carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamin and minerals should be equally balanced. Hair is primarily made up of protein, so more thrust should be towards proteinus products. Here, some of the important diets are given for for hair care and treating hair loss. To reduce hair loss, weightage should be given on diet therapy, diet chart and food pyramid.
- Stick to protein rich diet-fish, yeast, soybean, low fat cheese, eggs, beans and yoghurt for proper growth of hair. These diets to prevent hair fall and baldness.
- Increase the intake of iron as it is essential for hemoglobin and blood formation. So increase the quantity of green vegetables, raisins, dates, etc.
- Zinc is related with hair fall. Take zinc rich foods like Seafood’s.
- Restrict burger, fries, cold, spicy, sugary foods, caffeine, fat, carbonated drinks, animal protein, excessive raw food, tofu, tomatoes etc. as these are the culprits for hair thinning.
- Diet like Atkins, South Beach, damage hair.
- One can see positive result to prevent hair fall if vitamin is taken properly.
- Top foods that promote hair growth: Liver, yeast, fish, eggs, beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, tofu, whole grain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, eggs, dates, raisins, walnuts, canola oil, soy, avocados, nuts, seeds, olive, legumes, onions, raw oats, dried fruits, cherry juice, beets, brown rice, root vegetables, winter squash, Black beans, pumpkin, black pepper, brown rice syrup etc.
Prevention and Precaution of Hair Loss
- Hair dyes, hairdryer and curling should not be use excessively.
- Take calcium to your diet to make hair stronger.
- For coloring of hair, there should be gap of 6-8 weeks.
- Take sound sleep.
- Manage stress and anxiety.
- Avoid stiff hairstyles like braids, buns and ponytails.
- Food that prevent hair loss: Fish, eggs, beans, raisins, beans sprout, seafood,
- Take vitamin C as it prevent hair loss. Recommended dose is 1,000-3,000 mg/day
- Protein rich diet should be preferred as hairs are made up of protein.
- B vitamins and biotin are necessary for hair growth.
- Iron is needed for proper oxygenation of the blood in the scalp and other region of the body.
- Vitamin E too stimulates hair growth.
- Avoid harsh shampoo, conditioners.
- Alcohol and beverages should be restricted.
- Combing gently.
- Don’t rub your hair strongly.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Do meditation and exercise regularly.