Depression Fight and Prevention by Yoga, Home Remedies, Homeopathy, Diet and Ayurveda
Depression is not a disease it is a mental illness and emotional disorders. As per World Health Organization (WHO), depression will be considered as the second major cause of disability in the world by 2020. Depression is more common among women in the form of menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, postpartum period, pre-menopause, and menopause.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Depression is not same to everybody.
- Feelings of helplessness and physically slow down.
- Experiencing hopelessness
- Feeling sad and empty.
- Tolerance level is low therefore irritability and restlessness is common.
- Weight gain or loss may happen. Weight changes are clearly visible within a month.
- Sleeping disorders like insomnia or oversleeping.
- Deep fatigued and physically drained. Even a small work seems to be a huge task.
- Ability to think, making decision or concentration gets reduced.
- Continuous fear of death, sadness and suicide leads to clinically depressed.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in day to day activities
- Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
- You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Continuous feelings of headaches, back pain, muscle ache, stomach pain etc.
Causes of Depression
The factors and causes of clinical depression are varied like biological, genetic, environmental, psychological and medical illness.
What are the causes of Clinical Depression ?
- Losing near and dear ones.
- Fighting with chronic diseases and illness.
- Experiencing trauma.
- Changes in brain function and brain structure.
- Personality features like Low self esteem, negative way of thinking, unwarranted worry, more sensitiveness, overdependence and pessimistic view.
- Stress leads to psychological depression.
- Chronic diseases like AIDS, Cancer, Parkinson’s, Heart attack, Hormonal disorders, Diabetes makes one depressed.
- Tendency to get depression is more common with bipolar disorder (manic depression).
- Certain medicine like prednisone, sleeping pills, birth control drugs may cause depression.
- Misuse of alcohol and drugs.
- Diet lack in folic acid and Vitamin B-12 may lead to depression.
Complications of Depression
Depression is a serious mental disorder that may ruin individuals and families. It is advisable to take experts view regarding the disorders. Alternative remedies have greater role to play here. Using and practicing some forms of Alternative medicine like Yoga, Massage, Acupuncture, etc., show positive result in this direction.
Some of the Major Depression Complications are:
- Suicidal Behaviour-most dangerous depression complication, so, identifying suicidal behavior can lift the person from this metal bipolar disorders
- Substance and Alcohol abuse
- Heart attack, Diabetes and other medical conditions
- Obese and eating disorders that cause appetite tremendously and leads to weight gain. Eating disorders deteriorate the depression signs and symptoms.
- Low esteem and self injury
- Anxiety and Pain disorders are the outcome of depression.
- Emotional outburst is common.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Acute Back pain
- Fear of open or public gathering
Risk Factors for Depression
There are so many reasons that can be accounted as Risk Factors for Depression. In some cases, it is traumatic family history. It also includes medication, and some dreadful diseases like Diabetes, Parkinson Diseases, Hormonal disorders, etc. Depression may start at any stages but it is more chronic at the old stage. There are some clauses that trigger risk factor.
- Women are more prone to depression than men.
- People age over 60 has greater risk of depression.
- Possibility of developing depression is more if somebody had experienced earlier.
- Marital relationship problem.
- Chronic pain
- Parental depression
- Childhood trauma like death of parent, emotional abuse, parental divorce, etc.
- Loss of employment.
- Depression is more common in urban areas.
- Certain illness likes AIDS, Cancer, Heart disease, Diabetes, Hormonal Disorders, etc.
- Abuse alcohol, narcotics, nicotine etc.
- African-American are at a greater risk for major depressive disorder.
- Poor people are prone to depression.
- Smokers show depressive symptoms. Antidepressant helps to quit smoking.
- Clinical depression develop with chronic medical condition, stressful life experience, substance abuse like cocaine, lack of social support, ADHD, Obesity, etc.
Yoga for Depression
Yoga for Depression Depression is not only seen in the developing countries, developed countries too prone to clinical depression. Only in USA, about 17 million people are diagnosed with depression. Practicing Yoga with simple asanas and pranayamas may bring a pleasant environment to the person and keep depression away. Yoga exercises help to circulate oxygen to brain, muscles and other parts of the body. For depression, meditation may be stress buster
Yoga helps in Depression and Anxiety
Here, some easy Yoga postures are given for depression. Yoga is an effective alternative treatment for depression. Yoga therapy is not just an exercise; it is a holistic form of treatment and provides therapeutic benefits.
- Practicing some easy asanas and pranaymas make one keep away from illness and diseases thereby helpful in depression.
- Meditation is the best tool to control depression
- Shavasana is highly useful in taming the stress response and mental tiredness.
- Viparita Karni enhances blood circulation in brain and facilitates mental calmness and ease from clinical depression.
- Parvatasana helps to balance nervous system and beneficial for depression and anxiety.
- Padmasana is helpful in relieving the physical, nervous and emotional problems and useful for anxiety and depression.
- Makarasana eases physical and mental tiredness, improve mood and brain function.
- Balasana acts like as a depression buster.
- Surya Namaskar( Sun Salutation) energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body. It is extremely advisable for depression paients.
- Ujjayi Pranayama is beneficial in curing and healing depression.
- Laughter Yoga is the best tip and solution for depression.
- Bhramari Pranayama relieves stress and tension.
- Sheetali and Sheetkari Pranayama provides overall cooling effect.
- Relaxation may cure depression
Ayurvedic Treatment for Depression
Every human being, at a certain stage of his life, experienced depression and anxiety. The main characteristics features of depression are sadness and hopelessness. As per Ayurvedic Therapy, depression is considered as a classical sign of imbalance in the body. If depression, anxiety and other mental and neurological disorders left untreated, all these cause further complications. Ayurveda as an alternative medicine is beneficial for anxiety and depression. Ayurveda, the science of life, cures clinical depression in a natural way without side effects that are associated with modern medicine. Depression is a neurological illness that involves the body, moods and thoughts of a person. It is characterized by blankness, feeling of helplessness, hopelessness and worthlessness. Depression is the most common mental disorder after anxiety.
Ayurvedic Herbs and Depression:
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is beneficial for cooling and smoothening the nervous system and brain. Regular use of Brahmi oil eases depression.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) keep away from pessimistic thoughts, enhance the mind function and a cure for depression.
- Mandook Parni (Centella Asiatica) is good for depression.
- Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) helps to cure depression.
- Tinospora Cordifolia helps to increase blood circulation in brain.
- Cardamom ( Elattaria cardamomum) Cardamom tea show positive surprising result effect for depression patients.
- Guggulu ( Commiphora wightii) contains guggulsterones involves well coordination in the nervous system, hence good for depression.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) removes depression by smoothening the mind.
Ayurveda & Depression
- Meditation has the power to bring balance among physical, mental and emotional domains of an individual thereby ease depression.
- Ayurvedic oil massages increases blood circulation, cools and sooths the mind.
- Alternative therapy like Shirodhara (allowing a flow of water to fall at the middle of the forehead slowly), Shirobasti and oil massage therapy-Abhyanga is extremely useful for depression.
- Massages like Thai massage, Swedish massage is beneficial for depression too.
- Divert your mind and enjoy other activities and hobbies.
- Eating apple with honey and milk acts as a mood buster.
- Lemon juice is also recommended.
Depression and Homeopathy
Homeopathic treatment is very effective for depression. Homeopathy cures neurological disorders like anxiety, bipolar, stress and depression in the same pattern as conventional antidepressant do. Homeopathy, a component of alternative medicine shows encouraging result for depression with no side effects and also without including any addiction forming drugs. Important features like disinterest, suicidal thought, and nervousness can be cure through homeopathic medicine like arsenicum, aurum, calcium, ignatia, kali, lachesis, natrium. It is recommended to use homeopathy as a Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) to other treatments such as psychotherapy and conventional medication. Homeopathic remedies provide fast and lasting cure for depression according personality and individual symptoms. Homeopathic remedies treat all types of depression
Homeopathic Remedy for Depression
- Ignatia is prescribed when depression is caused due to improper reasons like bursting into tears or laughing without reasons.
- Pulsatilla is very useful when depression is caused due to hormonal changes.
- Sepia is recommended when depression is happened along with irritability.
- When restless is common in depression, Arsenicum is very useful.
- Aurum is referred when the patient show suicidal tendency.
- Calcarea carbonica is given when depression is caused due to physical illness or too much work.
- Causticum is beneficial in the treatment of grief and loss.
- Cimicifuga is a good for depression
- Kali phosphoricum is helpful when depression is experienced due to prolonged emotional stress.
- Natrum carbonicum helps to heal a person’s mind from depression.
- Natrum muriaticum overcome depression that happened due to anxiety, insomnia and back pain.
- Staphysagria is helpful for depression on account of anxiety, insomnia and headache.
Depression and Naturopathy
Depression is most prevalent of all emotional disorders. Depression increases markedly at the old stage. Nature cure treats depression through diet, physical exercise, scientific relaxation and meditation.
- Nutritional therapy to build brain chemicals such as serotonin and norepinephrine.
- Whole grains and green vegetables are needed to cure depression
- Preferred good mood foods like whole grain, bread, bananas, oranges and grape fruits. • Banana is good for depression as it contains magnesium. • Oranges and grapefruits are valuable in depression.
- Tea, coffee, beverages, soft drinks, white sugar, food colourings, chemical additives and strong condiments should be avoided. • Apple I nerve tonic and recharge the nerves with new energy and life
- Cashewnut is good remedy for depression.
- Asparagus is beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- Cardamom is a useful product for depression.
- Lemon balm is effective in the treatment of mental depression.
- Roses are useful in depression.
- Proper exercise also play greater role in the cure of depression.
- Exercise improves the function of the Autonomic Nervous.
- Adequate rest, relaxation, and meditation are essential to overcome depression
Home Remedy for Depression
Depression is characterized by hopelessness and despair and manifests sadness too. Depression is one of the most common emotional disorders. About 14.8 million Americans are suffered with major depressive disorders. Whether, you affected with anxiety or depression, do some alternative and complementary therapies at home to treat the symptoms of depression. Home Remedy offers a complete solution for holistic health and wellness.
Natural and Herbal Remedy for Depression
There are home remedies for depression that would help patients in treating depression, anxiety, stress, and other neurological disorders by uplifting mood. Here, information on home remedies, herbal remedies and natural treatment for depression is given.
- 2-3 Cardamom seeds in tea provide pleasing to mind and body and a natural depression cure.
- To refresh yourself and keep away from anxiety and depression, eat an apple with milk and honey.
- Take 1 or 2 gram powder of dry Asparagus root to care of bad mood and to heal depression.
- Tea with ¼ tsp of basil + ½ tsp of sage, twice a day, relieve from depression.
- Immersion bath for one hour daily is a good nature cure remedy in the treatment of depression.
- Cashew by ensuring activeness and energy levels to body is extremely beneficial in treating depression.
- One cup of rice milk + 3 tsp oatmeal + almond + Dried fruits is effective in relieving a person from depression.
- Take one cup of boil lavender leaves in water twice a day in curing depression
- Increase the intake of Vitamin B rich food as its deficiency may depress one’s mind.
- Exercise or brisk walk release endorphins that enhance mood and treat symptoms of depression.
- Breathing exercise increases the oxygen flow to brain and is helpful in relieving from depression.
- Put fresh rose petals in a cup of boiling water, add sugar then use to get relieve from depression.
- Boil one cup of water with 5-6 rosemary leaves, add some honey, and leave for cooling before drink. It is a good remedy to recharge your energy.
Depression and Diet
If a person not taking diet properly, he may face some sorts of anxiety and depression due to deficiency of certain chemicals. Certain diet habits along with do and don’t is briefed for information purpose to make you healthy. Treating depression through diet is one of the novel steps. Dietary imbalances may causes depression. Vitamin and minerals are necessary for mental health and improving moods. Diet and depression are closely linked.
Diet for Depression
- Deficiency of vitamin D shows main symptoms of depression.
- Omega-3 fatty acid that makes up a large percentage of brain. It would be helpful in relieving depression. Omega-3 fatty acid gives as quick result as drugs.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B-Complex, Biotin, Folic Acid and Vitamin C also lead to digressional problems.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B1 may cause brain disorders as brain along with this vitamin convert glucose into fuel. If the mechanism get disturb, depression, anxiety, gastrointestinal disorders occur.
- Lack of vitamin B3 is associated with mental slowness and anxiety.
- Vitamin B5 cures depression and reduces symptoms like fatigue, stress and irritation.
- Vitamin B6 is good to uplift mood.
- Use of calcium and magnesium supplement is recommended.
- Eating of refined sugar and carbohydrate is avoided.
- Avoid Coffee, Tea, Fast and junk food to give healthy development to your brain.
- Avoid Alcohol and cigarettes.
- Skipping of breakfast should be avoided as it directly related with depression.
Depression is a leading psychiatric disorder that may sometimes resulted in suicide. Control and prevention of depression is possible through following certain treatments and therapies of alternative medicine. Several complementary medicine interventions are efficacious in treating depression.
- Follow good health habits to prevent depression.
- Proper and balanced diet is recommended.
- Yogic exercise, especially Relaxation and Meditation is one of the novel solutions.
- Shavasana in Yoga is highly recommended and acts like as a stress reducers.
- Sound sleep also keeps you away from depression.
- Think positively
- Do exercise regularly.