Dandruff Control, Prevention and Treatment with Ayurveda, Home Remedies, Yoga and Homeopathy
Dandruff is a condition which affects the head portion and produces white flakes in hair and on clothing.� Brushing the hair prevents dandruff. Dandruff does not cause hair loss. If dandruff persists for a long time, the person may experience symptoms of seborrhea, psoriasis, or eczema.
Alternative medicine plays a vital role in the remedial measures of Dandruff. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like yoga, ayurveda, naturopathy, homeopathy, unani, siddha, diet, etc. has solution for dandruff. Home remedies, preventions and precautions are also important aspects in curing of Dandruff.
Symptoms and signs of Dandruff
- Scaling of skin in the form of white and snowflakes.
- Peeling scalp may be observed on shoulder and clothes.
- Scalp itching that leads to redness.
- Red blisters on the scalp.
- Dry facial skin
- Eyebrow and ears rashes
- Eyebrow dandruff
- Dandruff in ears
- White flakes on dark clothes is the dominant symptom
- Dry skin gradually convert into dandruff
- Psoriasis-excessive flaking
- Seborrheic dermatitis-inflamed skin
- Presence of fungus malassezia that thrives on the skin oil.
- Unhygienic scalp.
- Dry skin
- Mental stress and Skin Problem
- Excessive use of shampoo
- Hair treatments through different chemicals i.e. lotions
- Dandruff prone to winter season.
- Hormonal and immune factors
- Red and oily skin
- Oily scalp
- Certain skin disorders
- Head injury
- Psoriasis-layer of dead skin cells.
- Cradle cap
- Poor immune system
- Chronic illness
- Hormonal imbalance
- Allergic Hypersensitive
- Excessive consumption of fat, starch, sugar
- Excessive junk food
- Psoriasis and eczema patients may get dandruff.
- �Person suffering from Parkinson's disease, heart attack, Strokes and with weak immune system are more prone to dandruff.
Complications of Dandruff
Dandruff hardly shows any complications.� It may happen due to some form of Shampoos or other chemical.
- If a product showing adverse reaction your head, stop it immediately.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis may cause infection.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis may spread pus and redness.
Risk factors for Dandruff
- Certain illnesses like Parkinson's disease, AIDS, Eczema, psoriasis etc. are like to develop dandruff.
- Highly acidic and alkaline shampoo may be responsible for dandruff.
- Male are more prone due to some greasy substance produced by scalp.
- Oily hair is more susceptible for dandruff.
- Powerful chemical may cause dandruff.
- Young adults are more prone to dandruff.
- Unbalanced diet and nutritional deficiencies.
- Stress and fatigue
- Non brushing of hair
- Unavailability of sunlight.
Tests and Diagnosis of dandruff
- For seborrhoeic dermatitis, the doctor looks at red rash on your skin.
- �The doctor can ask you about duration and harshness of symptoms.
- Examine the scalp to know about any white flakes.
- The doctor also requires about Psoriasis and Fungal infection.
Yoga for Dandruff
Stress is one of the main reasons for dandruff. To contend stress, anti-dandruff agent is hardly effective. However, Yoga has the effective remedy for dandruff problems. Treating and cures of dandruff through yoga and yogasana is prevalent since a long time. Using the alternative system of medicine, the incidence of hair fall may be reduced but can be stopped as hair fall is a natural phenomenon.
- Shirshasana is a good yoga pose that enhances blood circulation to head and brain thereby nourishes the scalp with necessary nutrients that reduces dandruff.
- Sarvangasna improve blood circulation to head.
- Paschimottasana control hair fall and slow down ageing too.
- Chakrasana helps to solve the problems of scalp and supply more oxygen to head.
- Chinmudra circulates oxygen throughout the body.
- Matsyasana(Fish pose) prevent greying and falling of hair.
- Surya Namaskara (Salutation to the sun) is effective for dandruff
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama also manage dandruff.
- Meditation is one of the best techniques to control stress and anxiety. Since , these two factors aggravates dandruff.
- Naturopathy or nature cure is also an important aspect for treating dandruff.
- Massage of the scalp is quite effective in controlling of dandruff.
- Massage with herbal oil is very effective to prevent dandruff.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Dandruff
Ayurveda, being a holistic medicine, is a useful natural remedy for dandruff treatment, grey of hair, baldness and hair fall. Lots of ayurvedic herbs are available that can be used as ayurvedic medicines for dandruff treatments and remedies.
- Scalp massage with sesame oil helps in removing dandruff. It is a good herbal remedy for dandruff.
- Fenugreek seeds help in improving the condition thus a natural cure agent for dandruff.
- Use of ash gourds seeds regularly is effective for dandruff management.
- Apply a paste of neem leaves and wash it after 30 minutes to cure from dandruff. It is an effective natural remedy for dandruff.
- Rosemary rejuvenates the scalp thereby stop dandruff.
- Green gram powder is also useful for dandruff.
- �Ayurvedic medicines� like Dudurpatradi Tailam, Gandhaka Rasayana, Brihat Haridra, Khand, etc. may be used after consultation from the doctor to cure from dandruff .
- Massage your head with Aloe Vera and leave for 10 minutes to have good result for�Dandruff.
- For good hair and dandruff treatment, Alfalfa show good result.
- Alfalfa + Carrots + Lettuce control dandruff.
- Apply a paste of meethi seeds for good result.
- Application of Indian hemp reduces dandruff problems.
- Mixture of Coconut oil + Camphor helps to check dandruff.
- Mix of lemon juice + coconut oil to check the problem.
- Mix a spoon of Caster oil, Mustard oil and Coconut oil and apply it on your scalp
- Rub the scalp with the mix of lime juice + pure vinegar followed by egg wash.
- Massage the scalp with the pest of Tulsi leaves + Amla powder + Water. Left foe 30 minutes and wash it slowly to ward off dandruff.
- Egg Shampoo of 2-3 eggs is also quite effective to put off dandruff.
- For good result, apply the oil of Neelibringadhi or triphaladhi or kayyunyathi after bath.
Homeopathic Cure for Dandruff
Homeopathic medicine is helpful in curing of dandruff. Few of the important homeopathic treatments for dandruff remedy are given below.
- Sepia- is recommended with oily and moist scalp which is associated with dandruff.
- Graphite is preferred with scaly, itching and moist scalp.
- Arsenicum- is suggested when the scalp is dry, sensitive and intolerable itching.
- Natrum mur- is given when the scalp has thin hair that is surrounded by crust.
- Sulphur is beneficial in case of acute dandruff.
- Thuja is helpful when the scalp is covered with white scaly dandruff.
- Sanicula for flaking dandruff.
- Psorinum is used when dandruff is associated with smell and stink.
- Phosphorous is advisable with red and itching scalp.
- For severe dandruff, use Mezerium.
- When itching is predominant, take Ammonium Mur for dandruff.
- Calcarea Sul and Kali Sul are very effective when dandruff bear colour like yellow.
Self Care for Dandruff
- Avoid sweet, oily and junk food.
- Always use light hand whenever you brush your scalp.
- Eat balanced and nourishing diet.
- Accessories like straightening hair, dryers, gel etc. should be avoided.
- Wash your scalp properly so to remove flakes and dandruff agents.
- Avoid more oil and oily product on scalp.
- Practice relaxation and meditation.
- Covered your scalp to avoid from harsh conditions.
- Powerful chemicals in the form of shampoo should be skipped.
- Follow the natural treatments or home remedies.
Diet and Dandruff
- Balance diet like Vitamin B-complex, high proteinus food, whole grains, whole pulses should be given high priority.
- Take about 8-10 glasses of water for protection of your scalp.
- Reduced the quantity of fatty, junk and fried foods.
- Use profusely yogurt as it antagonist of yeast.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Homemade remedy for dandruff cures and treatments are safe, easy, cost effective and can be made at home without any hassle. See below for dandruff natural home remedy and treatments
- Manage stress and tension naturally as these worsen dandruff symptoms
- Massage with tree oil is extremely beneficial and a good home made dandruff remedy.
- Herbal as well as good shampoo prevents dandruff.
- Rinse the mix of Cider vinegar + water on the scalp to control and cure dandruff.
- Massage the scalp with 1 tsp of lemon juice + 2 tsp of vinegar before washing your hair with egg.
- Wrap your head with clean towel after massaging the head with wheat germ oil.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes before washing. It is a good dandruff solution
- Apply the paste of methi seeds + yogurt and left it overnight before washing of olive oil for 10 days helps to check dandruff.
- Massage your scalp with warm coconut oil and wash it in the morning for good result.
- Hair wash with methi seed prevent dandruff. Methi seed should be kept in water overnight then use the paste on the scalp.
- Washing hair with lime juice + water helps to overcome from dandruff.
- Rub your scalp with coconut oil + rosemary oil. In the morning, wash the scalp with warm lemon juice water.
- Massage the scalp with the mix of egg + water and leave it for 10 minutes before washing it through warm water.
- Use the mix of Lime juice +Amla juice on your scalp at night and wash it in the morning to prevent dandruff.
- Rub the paste of tea tree oil +olive oil over your scalp and wash it after 30 minutes.
- Use the mix of tea leaves + lime water after washing your hair to say good bye to dandruff for formation.
- Apply the solution of sandalwood oil + lemon juice in the ratio of 1:3 and wash it after 30 minutes.
- Apply the mix of coconut oil + Lime juice over your scalp to ward off dandruff.
- Application of mustard oil + lime juice is quiet effective for dandruff.
- Massage of Neem oil is effective both for dandruff and psoriasis.
- Rub the mix of almond oil + olive oil on your scalp.
- Simply, application of coconut oil on the scalp is common treatment for dandruff.
- Apply the paste of amla + bhringraj to keep away from dandruff.
- Use of lemon use on head is a common remedy.
- Good soap is also recommended to avoid the problems of dandruff.
- Massage of boil beet root is good for dandruff.
- Apply the solution of green gram powder + curd twice a week.
- Massage with the juice of snakegourd over the scalp.
- Rub your scalp with curd to have positive result.
- Apply the solution of thyme leaves to cure dandruff.
- Bath with hot stream to prevent dandruff.
- Apply the mix of camphor and coconut.
- Vitamin E oil is also quite beneficial.
Preventions and Precautions of dandruff
- Balanced and nourishing diet prevents the condition.
- Brush and comb should be clean on regular basis.
- Regular wash and combing prevent dandruff.
- Cleanliness of combs should be given utmost importance.
- Clean your scalp regularly to avoid a layer of dead cells.
- Washing hair with strong shampoo should be avoided.
- Fried, Junk and heavy fatty food should be avoided.
- Balanced and nourishing diet is preferred.
- Give more weightage to fruits and vegetables.
- Dandruff is reduced with low GI diet
- Dandruff is difficult to prevent in case of dominancy of Skin Yeast , increased sebaceous gland� production and hormonal disorders
- Excessive Stress deteriorates the condition of dandruff.
- Adequate sunlight is essential.
- Avoid hair sprays, gels and irritating shampoo or soaps.