Allergy is a hyperactive response of the immune system to particular substances called allergens. These allergens may be food, pollen, dust, drugs, molds, air borne, dog, cat, mushroom, soy, gluten, etc. Sometimes, it may be for short times or continue for longer periods. The form of allergy may be from simple to life threatening. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)-yoga, naturopathy, ayurveda, homeopathy, diet, home remedy, unani and siddha, have greater role in the control and management of allergy
Symptoms and Signs of Allergy
- Skin’s itching
- Itchy mouth during swallowing of foods
- Rash formation at the point of scratching
- Lips inflammation
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Itching of eyes
- Losing consciousness and dizziness
- Mental confusion
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problems
- Sneezing and Wheezing
- Nasal congestion
- Anaphylaxis-quick response to allergen by the body
- Throat tightness
Causes of Allergy
- Infectious diseases at childhood
- Food allergies to peanuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, and walnuts etc.
- Latex sensitivity
- Swelling (edema)
- Abdominal cramps
- Shrimp and crab meat
- Sneezing and Wheezing
- Foods trigger allergy i.e. Eggs, Milk, Wheat, Soy, peanuts and Fish
Complications of Allergy
- Bronchial disorders,
- Allergic rhinitis
- Hay fever.
- Anaphylactic shock and eczema.
Risk factors for Allergy
- Bottle-fed babies
- Allergen exposure at childhood
- Birth coincides with pollen season
- Mother or father suffered with nasal congestion
- Premature birth
- High exposure to allergens- molds spores, dust mites, animal dander, etc.
- Allergy to one food may become the risk of another one.
- Infants are more susceptible
Test and Diagnosis of Allergy
When environmental measures, drugs and medication fail to control allergy, it is better suggested to consult a physician.
- Upper endoscopy.
- Skin Test for allergy
- Blood test for allergies-RAST and ELISA
- Food allergy testing
- Patient interview by the doctor regarding food, reaction time, sickness etc.
- Physical examination by a doctor that includes personal and family history and symptoms triggers.
- Neti like Jal Neti and Sutra Neti reduce allergy symptoms.
- Matsyasana (the fish pose) is a good asana for those people who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and other lungs ailment thereby relieves congestion.
- Sarvangasana (the shoulder stand pose) helps in clearing of exchange of gases through the nasal passage.
- Tadasana (the palm tree pose) improves concentration of mind and develop sense of balance.
- Padhastasana (the foot hand pose) improves concentration and helps to decongest the nose.
- Trikonasana (triangular stretch pose) systematically revitalizes the entire body.
- Padmasana (the lotus pose) induces mental calmness and helps to bring about physical health and mental equilibrium on permanent basis.
- Bhujangasana( the cobra pose) expands the chest more than usual, helping to improve one’s breathing.
- Paschitmoasana ( the fierce or powerful pose) tones all the abdominal organs, including the liver, pancreas, spleen, kidney and adrenal glands thus helps to mental calmness.
- Pavan Muktasana( the wind releasing pose) relieves from abdominal ailments associated with malfunctioning of inefficient organs.
- Kapalbhati ( frontal brain bellowing) makes the nasal passage clean.
- Pranayama control nasal allergy effectively.
- Nadishodhana Pranayama helps to remove congestion or blockage of the nadis thereby allow the free flow of prana.
- Anulom Vinolum Pranayama develops consciousness, mental calmness and ease nasal congestion.
- Surya Namaskar energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body.
- Easily digested food is prescribed for allergic person.
- Through ayurvedic knowledge, stress and anxiety can be minimised to a greater extent.
- Disciplined lifestyle
- Herbal oil massage also shows good result.
- Panchkarma a wonderful natural ayurvedic cure for different allergies.
- Ginger root tea is beneficial for respiratory allergy and skin allergy
- Allium cepa is used to relieve nasal congestion and burning, especially recommended for autumn allergy.
- Arsenicum album’s remedy is helpful for running nose and nasal allergy.
- For swollen eyes, use Euphrasia
- Ferrum phosphoricum is effective for inflammation of runny eyes.
- Gelsemium is needed in case of sneezing and watery nose
- Nux vomica may bring relief for strong cough and can also be used with allergic asthma.
- Sabadilla is suggested for sneezing and watery discharge nose.
- For burning and itching, use of Wyethia, is a wise step.
- Cebadilla seed is recommended when the person is suffering from sneezing, dry nose and dry cough.
- Green tea is a good treatment to overcome allergy symptoms and gain natural health.
- Hydrotherapy in the form of immersion Bath, Jacuzzi helps to overcome allergy.
- Massage is also beneficial for allergy
- Warm water gargling with salt helps to treat allergy.
- For inflamed eyes, use the mixture of lime+ mallow + chamomile tea.
- Quince + Honey + Lemon show a good impact on the throat.
- Eye irritation may be reduced washing it through cold water.
- Keep yourself away from allergy creating matter.
- Hot shower is effective to ward off allergen and may be used as skin allergies remedies.
- Use sunglasses to protect your eyes from pollen, mites, dust etc.
- Dust mites favour humid place that may spur allergy.
- Hay, straw and grass burning may make allergic patient vulnerable to the disease.
- For congested and inflammatory nose, use peppermint tea.
- Paste of sandalwood + lime juice, a best bet for the affected area.
- Grind almond leaves provide soothing effect.
- Minced papaya seeds give relief.
- Coconut oil + Lemon Juice is effective for allergy.
- Juices of carrot + Beetroot + Cucumber, prevent from splurging of allergy
- Cow's Milk- About 2 % infant have allergy with cow’ milk where symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea and skin rashes are common.
- Egg- Some children have allergy with white proteinus part of egg
- Fish and shellfish-More common with adults
- Fruits: About 40% people have oral allergy syndrome.
- Legumes: Peanuts and Soya bean have allergic features.
- Nuts and Peanut
- Cleanliness is the most important needs to prevent allergy
- Use of carpet may be avoided as it is dust prone.
- Vacuum cleaner is preferred as it filters dust.
- Mask should be used while cleaning.
- Keep yourself away from pets.
- Use exhaust fan.
- Eatable should be kept in tight container.
- Care your pet hygienically.
- Avoid pollutants as airborne matter may trigger allergic condition.
- Use vacuum cleaner for dusting of carpets.
Yoga for Allergies
Allergies and Ayurveda
Ayurvedic remedies are effective to manage and treat different forms of allergies. If you are depressed due to acuteness of allergy; herbal supplements, ayurvedic herbal supplements and ayurvedic medicine may be given as allergic treatment. Ayurvedic treatments are known natural allergy remedy that not only provide allergy relief, yet boost the immune system. Allergic management through Ayurveda is not a new concept, though Ayurveda as an herbal remedy is getting recognition all over the world. The Ayurvedic approach on allergies is to combat all forms of allergy without any side effects. Ayurveda products may be used after consulting ayurveda expert.
Homeopathy and Allergy Treatment
Homeopathy is one of the components of alternative medicine where promising treatment is possible for allergy. Homeopathy medicine is highly effective for allergy treatment as it has the capacity to ease the affected parts. Homeopathy cure for allergy is a well known fact in the medical science. Homeopathy lessens for allergies by enhancing the immune system against the allergens. For suitability of homeopathic medicine, it is better to conduct to a homeopath or homeopathy physician.
Naturopathy Treatment and Allergy
Home Remedies for Allergy
To get relief from allergy, home remedy can play effective roles to ease from running nose, itching skin, watery eyes, rashes, vomiting, sneezing etc. Home remedy keeps allergens and allergy triggers at bay. There are lots of home, natural and herbal remedies for skin, nose, eyes, and other parts of the body. Home remedy is quite effective for skin allergy.
Allergic Foods-Food Allergy
Food allergy is a negative response to food protein and can be seen with common food allergens like egg, nuts, wheat, soy, milk, peanut, fish, tomatoes and shellfish. These foods are responsible about 90 % of all food allergic reaction. These food allergens may be named as egg allergy, nut allergy, wheat allergy, soy allergy, milk allergy, peanut allergy, fish allergy, tomato allergy, shellfish allergy. Due to these allergic foods, allergies are common among children. Food allergies sometimes may caused health problems and leads to serious illness. Food hypersensitivity and food intolerance trigger food allergies. Allergic prone people even may suffer allergy from small quantity of allergic foods and show symptoms like rash, nausea and vomiting.