Acidity Control, Treatment and Prevention through Yoga, Diet, Home Remedies Naturopathy and Ayurveda
Burning sensation in the stomach due to excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid (HCL) may corrode the inner lining of stomach, and badly affected the other parts of digestive system. Prolonged acidity can cause chronic indigestion, arthritis, gout, IBS, ulcers etc.
Sign and Symptoms of Acidity and Heartburn
- Inflammation/burning in chest.
- Continuous pain the upper region of abdomen.
- Pain at empty stomach
- Frequent heartburn and dyspepsia
- Bloated feeling
- Loss of appetite
- Pressure in chest/chest pain after meal
- Abrupt weight loss
- Hair Loss
- Throat dryness
- Dry cough
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Generally, feeling hungry.
- Muscular contraction pain
- Itchiness in the rectal region.
- Seems that something coming from stomach to mouth that leads to bitterness in mouth.
- Respiratory problems
- Pain in ears
Causes of Acidity and Heartburn
- Excessive intake of pungent and sour food items.
- Drinking too much alcoholic beverages.
- Hot food items.
- Items like sweets, fermented foods.
- Fried, spicy and fatty foods.
- Gastric ulcer
- Digestion problem
- Habit of skipping breakfast.
- More secretion of Hydrochloric Acid(HCL)
- Spending more time under sun or heat
- More intake of chocolate, tea, coffee, garlic, onions
- Excessive smoking.
- Stress, anxiety and tension
- Showing more anger, fear, worrying.
- Drugs like aspirin
- Negative emotion leads to gastric hyperacidity.
- Irregular food habit
- Reflux of gastric acid.
- Weakness of valves
Complications of Acidity and Heartburn
- Chronic dry cough.
- Reflux cough.
- Inflammation in the larynx
- Aspiration pneumonia.
- Difficulty swallowing
- Gas Bloat Syndrome-Excessive formation of gas, flatulence, abdominal distension etc.
- Gastric Ulcer-Severe burning
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)-food comes into the food pipe and finally to the mouth.
Risk Factor of Acidity and Heartburn
- Senior people of age more than 50 years
- Taking alcohol, coffee, or other high stimulants beverages
Test and Diagnosis of Acidity and Heartburn
- Blood and urine tests
- Esophageal pH monitoring- to know irritability and sleep disturbances.
- Upper GI series- to know about gastrointestinal problems.
- Upper endoscopy to determine the state of esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
- Vajrasana(Throne Pose)- helps to improve digestion, decrease constipation, reduce flatulence or gas and acidity.
- Kunjal (Stomach wash) can wash strong acid from stomach. It is a good example of Yoga for hyperacidity and beneficial for chronic acidity.
- Paschimottanasana (Head to knee) - this yoga pose treat acidity as well as helps in the improvement of digestion.
- Bhujangasana (the Cobra Pose) massages the organs of digestive system, thus, helps to treat heartburn and yoga position for acidity.
- Ardha matsyendrasana (the Half Spinal twist Pose) treats digestive ailments like indigestion, acidity, gas problem and constipation.
- Sarvangasana (the Shoulder stand Pose) helps to remove various types of digestive ailments.
- Blood pressure may lead to acidity that can lessen by doing Meditation.
- Corpse Posture helps in proper digestion.
- Padahasthasana (the Foot-hand Pose) massages and tones up the digestive organs and helps to improve digestion and cure gastritis.
- Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose),
- Janu Shirsasana ( the Half back Stretching Pose)
- Viparit Karni (Upside Down Pose)
- Yoga postures like Tadasana (Mountain Pose) and Trikonasana (Triangle Pose) stretch and exercise the liver thereby reduces its acidic secretions.
- Sitting poses like Padmasana (Lotus Pose) and relaxing pose like Shavasana (Corpse Pose) helps to decrease gas or flatulence and useful yoga therapy for peptic ulcer.
- Virasana (Hero’s Pose) reduces fat around the thighs and increases digestion too.
- Makrasana (the Crocodile Pose)) massages the abdominal organs and reduces stress.
- Ujjayi (Ocean Breath), Kapalbhatti (Forced Air) and Shitali Pranayam (Cool Breath) has the capacity to counter acidity and gastric ulcer.
- Pavanamuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose) is effective to get rid of gas.
- Sheetali Pranayama( the Cooling Breath) provides immediate relief from acidity reflux and acidity in stomach.
- Sheetkari pranayam (the Hissing Breath) help in reduction of burning sensation in the stomach and too ease from intestinal gas.
- Indian Gooseberry shows the calming effect and an ayurveda remedy for acidity.
- Pomegranate juice about 10 ml twice a day is a good ayurvedic treatment for heartburn and acidity.
- Tulsi leaves naturally cure acidity as these reduce the formation of gas and burning in the stomach.
- Acorus calamus is an herbal cure for acidity as controls hydrochloric acid formation in the stomach.
- 1 onion + sweet curd + sugar reduces burning in the throat region.
- Turpeth root (Nishoth) helps to protect inner lining of the stomach and reduces stomach acidity.
- Pumpkin juice + sugar reduce acidity and heartburn.
- Turmeric is a natural remedy for acidity prevent from excessive harm to the stomach from hyperacidity.
- 5-10 gm. ghee boiled with jeera should be taken with rice during meals.
- Liquorice has great neutralizing effect for gastritis as an ayurvedic treatment.
- Fresh garlic is used as a herbal medicine for acidity and intestinal gas.
- Margisa tree dilutes acidity in the alimentary canal.
- Ehiretta powder + sugar relief from acidity.
- Coconut water is quite beneficial herbal remedy for acidity. Drink it twice a day.
- Eating clove is recommended as an ayurveda remedy for heartburn.
- 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar + 10 ml. honey + water helps to prevent acidity.
- Gur is helpful to subsidize acidity and used as acidity cures.
- Water melon or cucumber (kheera) calm down the acidic effect.
- Acetic acid is given when feeling of vomiting is common after every meal. The patients also feel insatiable burning thrust.
- Capsicum is recommended when burning in throat, tongue, vomiting; and intense craving for stimulants is common.
- Nux vomica-helps to tone the digestive organs help to lessen gastric problems.
- Pulsatilla is given to the patient who is thirstless with great dryness of mouth and better in open air; weeping disposition; mild, gentle, affectionate, yielding
- Kali bichromicum is prescribed in case of reflux acidity.
- Carbo vegetabilis is quite useful in acidity.
- China officinalis lessen the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Lycopodium is suitable for chronic congestion of the stomach.
- Few other medicines which can also be used for heartburn if the stomach matches: Magnesia carbonica, Natrum phosphoricum, Anacardium orientale, Calcarea carbonica, Cantharis, Carbo vegetable, Cinchonna officinalis, Discorea, Robina and Sepia. The above homeopathic medicines are beneficial for gastric disease, dyspepsia and acidity.
- Use coconut water in plenty as a home remedy for acidity.
- Mix of apple cider vinegar + honey + water before meals fights acidity. It is an effective herbal remedy for acidity.
- White vinegar can be used as a remedy at home to reduce the level of acidity.
- Tulsi leaves are effective acidity herbal remedy for gas and stomach burning.
- Eating of Almond cure acidity.
- Sugary cold water relieves from burning of stomach.
- Mix of radish +carrots + tomatoes can be taken because these are home remedy cure for acidity.
- Radish + black pepper improve digestion.
- Chewing of cloves fight from acidity.
- Amla powder + honey thrice a day to get relief from acid reflux.
- Cold milk glass relief from burning of stomach.
- Eating of Jaggery subsides acidity.
- Eating of yoghurt provides quick relief.
- Eat water melon, banana and cucumber to have good result.
- Chewing of ajwain is good for acidity.
- Practice Pranayam daily.
- Strained the mix of 1 cup of warm water + Saunf and add 1 tsp of honey for no more acidity.
- Milk product is helpful for acidity.
- Keep yourself away from pickles, fried foods, hot spicy foods, chocolate, pastries etc.
- Sipping of boil mint leaves having a good experience in acidity.
- Eating bananas showing the calming effect.
- For immediate relief, take a glass of water by adding a pinch of baking soda.
- Fennel relieves from abdominal pain, colon disorders and gas.
- Ginger relieves indigestion.
- For heartburn, use calcium in your diet.
- Have your dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Eat more and more green and leafy vegetables
- Cardamom gives relief from acidity.
- Herbal tea that contains spearmint +licorice is quite beneficial
- Sour fruits, vegetables like citrus fruits, tomatoes, onion, leads to acidity or acidosis.
- Pickles, fried, oily and spicy foods causes gas in the stomach and comes under acidity diet.
- Avoid excessive chocolate to reduce acidity in the stomach.
- At night, try to avoid protein and calcium rich food.
- Cheese, junk foods do give rise to acidity.
- Soft drinks, tea, alcohol, coffee etc., increase acidity by damaging inner lining of the stomach
- Take more quantity of water as it aids your digestion.
- Carbohydrate rich food should be preferred as these are associated with no acid formation.
- Fruits like apple, banana, dates and figs may be taken in more and more quantity as these are alkaline balanced diet.
- Take more and more coconut, ripened mango, kiwi, watermelon and pears.
- Leaves of carrot, celery and curry relives from acidity.
- Sweet potatoes, carrot and beet root are alkaline rich diet helps to control acidity.
- Seeds of cumin, coriander and cardamom overcome acidity.
- Avoid beverages like alcohol, coffee as these secrete more acid and damage the lining of stomach
- Over processed and fatty foods like junk ones demand heavy work to be done by the stomach.
- Acidic fruits like tomatoes and from citrus family should be prevented as it helps to maintain ph balanced.
- Go bye to overeating
- Cut your smoking to save the lining of the stomach.
- Drinking of water in early morning is beneficial in prevention of acidity acidity.
- Avoid spicy and highly acidic food prevent heartburn.
- Your food should be alkaline in nature.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Fatty foods, spicy foods, caffeine, citrus, and carbonated beverages causes acidity.
- Eat only when you are hungry.
- Give up night awakening.
- Say bye bye to stress and tension.
- Eating banana daily prevent acidity.
- Big gap between meals produce gas.
- Sleeping on elevated pillow is desirable.
- Take 4-5 litres of water daily.
- Avoid raw salads of onion, cabbage, radish, chilly and pepper.
- Chew your food properly.
- Take more and more water as precationar measure to reduce acidity.
- Avoid drinking water before and after meals.
- Early to bed and early to rise reduces risk of secreting excessive acid in stomach.
Yoga for Acidity, Heartburn, Intestinal Gas and Ulcer
Modern lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits lead to different stomach and intestinal diseases and disorders. Acidity, hyperacidity and ulcer are few of the stomach disorders that can be cure through yoga asana. Yoga therapy not only provides acidity relief, yet improves digestion and facilitates internal cleansing too.
Yogic and acidity
Acidity - Ayurvedic Treatments and Remedies
Acidity/Hyperacidity is a worldwide common disorder that may lead to ulcer and other complications. Ayurveda, being a natural and herbal remedial platform for various diseases, provide effective treatment for acidity, , intestinal gas and ulcer.
Homeopathic Remedies for Acidity
Acidity is associated with regurgitation of acid peptic gastric juice into esophagus. Burning discomfort moves up and down the chest starting from the stomach. In case of serious heart burn, it radiates to the sides of the chest, neck or angle of the jaw. Homeopathy medicines can be used as lifestyle tips for acidity, flatulence and indigestion.
Acidity Home Remedies and Herbal Treatment
Acidity/hyperacidity/ulcer/intestinal gas is caused due to excessive acid secretion in the stomach. A list of home remedies, natural treatments and herbal treatments for acidity and heartburn is given here.
Diet for Acidity
Stomach acidity or hyperacidity is one of the most common diseases caused due to more acid formation or acid alkaline imbalance. About 20% population is suffering from this disease. To reduce acidity, there is a need to balance between acid and alkaline diets.
Diet to Reduce Acidity
Prevention for Acidity- Precaution for Acidity
In today’s modern faulty lifestyle, acidity, gerd, heartburn and intestinal gas problems have become more common due to drastic change in our food habits. Foods like fast, junk, spicy etc. prompt