Lack of physical labour, mental work pressure, stress, faulty lifestyle and wrong dietary pattern are some of the factors that spike the levels of blood sugar. Blood Sugar can be controlled, managed and prevented to a larger extent through alternative medicine.
Blood sugar signs
The main symptoms of it are:
- Concentrated urine
- Frequent urination due to more sugar in the blood.
- Frequent hunger to cope with high sugar
- Unquenchable thirst
- Dryness in the skin
- Eyesight problems
- Feeling of tiredness and weakness
- Delay healing of wounds
- Itching in the body, especially in the genital organs
- Weight fluctuation
- Drowsiness and low sexual urge
Blood sugar reasons
There are many causes and factors associated with it
- Hereditary & genetics
- Nutritional deficiency
- Obesity and fat distribution
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Stress, tension and worries
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Insulin deficiency and resistance
- Increased cholesterol level
- Diet rich in carbohydrate and fat
- Excess intake of oil and sugar
- High blood pressure
- Removal of the pancreas by surgery
Tests and Diagnosis
- Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) test
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)
- Random Plasma Glucose Test
- Finger Stick Blood Glucose
- Glycosylated Hemoglobin Test
- Cardiovascular disease
- Kidney problems
- Stomach nerve damage (Gastroparesis)
- Eye diseases
- Bone and joint disorders
- Skin problems, digestive problems, and problems with teeth and gums
- Nerve damage(Neuropathy)
- Dental problems
- Skin and foot disease
- Diabetic coma
Yoga to lower blood sugar
Yogic practices and Yoga poses aim at restoring the health of the affected pancreas and help it to make up the deficiency of insulin secretion. Sugar in blood is reduced significantly after Yoga treatment in the form of practicing yoga poses and Yogasanas. And glucose tolerance is increased.
- Sirsasana( Headstand pose) revitalizes the pituitary gland that is directly related with sugar control.
- Paschimotasana (Powerful pose) tones up the pancreas, spleen and kidney.
- Veerasana( Hero’s pose) is conducive to physical and mental equilibrium thus relieves from feeling of tiredness and weakness.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) stimulates the pancreas and secrete correct amount of glucagon and insulin at the right time.
- Shalabhasana (Locust Pose) aids in curing high blood sugar.
- Katichakrasana (waist rotating pose) helps to lower down the sugar level in the body and induces a wonderful feeling of lightness.
- Ardha matsyendrasana (Half spinal twist pose) good for lowering down sugar level in blood.
- Mayurasana (Peacock asana): This asana is very beneficial as it stimulates the metabolic process.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) stimulates the pancreas and helps in proper secretion of insulin.
- Uddiyan Bandha is good for overall functions of hormonal glands.
- Nauli (Navel string) is effective for proper functioning of pancreas thus regulates sugar levels.
- Bhastrika Pranayama( Bellows Pranayama) improves digestion and helps to enhance overall function of the body.
- Surya Nmaskar (Sun Salutation) is also recommended for the condition.
- Relaxation yoga poses like shavasana, Makrasana and Balasana are too useful.
Ayurveda brings down blood sugar
The Ayurvedic treatment has greater application and importance in curing of the lifestyle related disorder like diabetes. The various components and mixtures of ayurveda are helpful in fighting hyperglycemia.
- The best remedy of hyperglycemia is to take juice of bitter gourd or Rose apple/Bel/Neem on empty stomach daily.
- Turmeric is a useful remedy for sugar.
- The mixture of 1/2 teaspoon of ground bay leaf + 1/2 teaspoon turmeric + 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel; control sugar in blood. It is advisable to take the ingredients twice a day before lunch and dinner.
- 100 gm grind seeds of Methi + turmeric 50gm + white pepper with a glass of milk twice a day.
- The powder of rose apple stone twice a day.
- Amalaki Churna (500mg) + Turmeric Powder (500mg) + Naag Bhasma (125mg) may be taken with honey.
- Take a glass of water with 10 Tulsi leaves + 10 neem leaves + 10 Belpatras in the empty stomach reduces the content of sugar in blood.
- Copper vessel water in the morning is also useful.
- Bel leaves has anti-diabetic characteristic, take it with black pepper.
- Garlic contains Allicin that reduce sugar level and help in breaking of cholesterol.
- The leaves of Jamun have power to control conversion of starch into sugar.
- Onion has low sugar characteristics.
- The other useful herbs that is beneficial for diabetes are: Jambhul, Gurmar, Sagar gota, Shilájit, Triphala, Gurmar Leaves, Nayantatra, and Sagar gota
Homeopathy treatment for blood sugar
Homeopathy has complete say in curing of High Blood Sugar
- Phosphorus: to stabilize sugar levels
- Syzygium Jambolanum: reduces level of sugar immediately, use 5 drops of it after every 6 hours.
- Aurum Metallicum: reduces craving for sugar with the patients.
- Uranium Nitricum: improves nephritis problems.
- Arsenicum Bromatum: normalize excessive thrust and hunger, common with diabetes.
- Insulinum: helps to improve the functioning of pancreas.
- Phosphoric acid has remarkable power to cure sugar in the early stage.
- Lactic acid shows good result with the patients.
Unani Medicine for blood sugar
Unani strongly believes the total cure of High Blood Sugar is possible through energizing the pancreatic cells. The oil of black pepper, fennel, and juniper has a restoring and rejuvenating effect on the pancreas. Insulin stimulant oils are carrots, eucalyptus, fennel, geranium and lemon oils
Naturopathy for hyperglycemia
In such cases, sugar excretes from urine. Nature cure has the power to control diabetes at the earliest.
- Mud Therapy is beneficial for hyperglycemic patients.
- Hydrotherapy: Hot and Cold Fomentation over abdomen, Cold hip bath, Hot and cold hip bath, Wet abdomen pack, spinal bath. All these form an important part of treatment.
- Enema thoroughly cleansed the colon and helps the bowel to assume normal characteristics.
- Bathing in cold water greatly increases the circulation and enhances the capacity of the muscles to utilize sugar.
- Massage Therapy helps to energizes and revitalizes the whole body.
- Sun Bath: Water kept in brown bottle and exposed to sun rays for at least 8 hours in half cup, dose twice a day after meal is also found beneficial.
- Exercise, especially morning walk a good remedies in lowering down sugar level.
Easy home remedies for blood sugar
- Use bitter melon in your diet to control it.
- Drink 1 cup of Methi juice every morning to bring down glucose level.
- Amla and orange contain vitamin C, quite beneficial for high glucose in blood.
- 5 mango leaves + 1 glass of water left for overnight, drink after filter to reduce sugar level.
- Take curry leaves twice a day for good result.
- Take before lunch and dinner about ½ tsp each of ground bay leaf + turmeric + aloe vera gel; good to fight it.
- ½ cup of bitter gourd juice in the morning is one of the best remedy for diabetes.
- Honey + turmeric powder + dried gooseberry powder to show glucose level down.
- Such patients should chew 4-5 Jamun leaves in the morning and evening.
- Chew 2 leaves each of Neem and Bilva to minimize the impact of it.
- Overnight drenched almond is also useful.
- Leaves of Basil + Neem + Belpatras + 1 glass of water help to cure hypoglycemia.
- Diabetic patients should take apple juice.
- Use of Garlic, Karela, Onion, Soybean, should be abundant in diet to overcome sugar level.
- Drink more water in the morning before exercise.
Diet tips for high blood sugar
The diet plays an important role in reducing the level of sugar. The goal of such patient is to avoid any surges in the blood glucose by maintaining ideal body weight through proper nutrition. The diet schedule should be as follows:
- Morning: bitter gourd juice 1-2 ounce (40 ml)
- Breakfast: skimmed milk (250-400ml) or butter milk or sprouted gram, Moong, Methi approx. 50 gm or Fresh Amla juice 50 ml
- Lunch: Roti ( wheat + gram flour) 25-50 gm, green vegetables 250gm, salad 50gm, Moong 25 gm, curd 150gm + 1 glass butter milk
- Evening: roasted gram 30 gm, vegetable soup or 1 glass butter milk
- Dinner: As in lunch but use of curd is not advisable at night.
Best diets in hyperglycemia
- Fresh fibrous fruits and vegetables are useful in diabetes
- Soyabean, Bean, Turnip, Cucumber, garlic, Lauki, Bitter gourd, Spinach, Fenugreek, Bathua, Chaukie, Amla, Jamun, Bel, , cabbage, tomato and carrot.
Foods to avoid for blood sugar
- Fast and junk foods
- Cold drinks
- Dried fruits like Badam
- Oil for cooking
Blood sugar prevention & precautions
With the help of regulated diet, alternative system of medicine and proper module of exercise; sugar can be controlled and managed to a larger extent.
- Skip sleeping at day time
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Take care of your ENT parts
- Follow exercise regularly
- Do Yoga
- Take extra care of your food
- Make your dietary chart
- Avoid sugary substances /products completely
- Use of junk, oily, fried and fat enriched foods should be avoided.
- High fibrous food should be preferred.
- Avoid non-veg.
- Avoid ghee, Vanaspati, fine flour, smoking, chewing of Jarda and Gutka
- Keep yourself away from stress as it is the root of many diseases
- Frequent and excessive eating put you in danger
- Apathy for exercise may put you in danger.