Colic means frequent symptom of abdominal pain, presumably of intestinal origin and uncontrollable crying associated with it. It usually occurs in infants under 3 months of age.
Symptoms of Infant Colic
- Abrupt crying and may continued for 1 hours.
- Baby face become flushed
- Abdomen is distended and tense
- Legs are drawn up on abdomen and feet are cold and hands are clenched.
- Colic condition ended with passage of faeces or flatus.
- Recurrent attacks commonly occur innate afternoon or evening.
Causes of Baby Colic
Following reason can be associated with infantile colic.
- Swallowed air
- Giving high carbohydrate food
- Allergy may be the factor, especially with Cow milk
- Ear infection
- Renal problems
- Certain infants are susceptible to colic.
Treatment and Remedies of Colic
There are so many factors are responsible for Colic. Making the baby lie prone, holding the baby upright or applying hot water bottle occasionally helps the crying baby. Passage of faeces spontaneously or with suppository sometimes give relief. Gripe water, an ayurvedic product is also beneficial for the yelling kids. Antispasmodics help in resistant cases. Colic rarely persist after 3 months of age.
Prevention Tips for Colic
Improving feeding technique, burping after feeds, stable emotional environment, avoiding under feeding and overfeeding of baby and avoidance of allergenic food in baby’s and nursing mother’s diet helps in prevention of colic.Baby Colic, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention Tips