Mexican husk tomato names
The fruit is known as Mexican husk tomato because it is the native of Mexico. It comes under nightshade family and widely used as cuisine in Mexico for variety of dishes. One of the important dishes where it is especially used is Salsa verde of Mexico. Now, it is grown all over the world. It is known by different names such as tomatillo, husk tomato, husk cherry, Mexican groundcherry, large flowered tomatillo, Mexican husk tomato, Mexican tomato, husk tomato, Mexican green tomato and miltomate in different parts of the world.
- Botanical name/Biological name: Physalis philadelphica
- Mexican husk tomato: Mexico
- Tomate de cascara, tomate de fresadilla, tomate milpero, tomate verde: Spain
- Miltomate: Guatemala
10 Top benefits of Mexican husk tomato
Mexican husk tomato is known for multiple health benefits. It is good for diabetes patients, helps to lower blood pressure, can be used for weight loss management; enhance the energy level of the body including other health advantages.
- Tomatillo nutritional facts: The nutritional facts of 100 grams of Mexican husk tomato are as follow: Energy (32 calories), fat (1gram), sodium (1mg), potassium (268mg), carbohydrate (6g), dietary fiber (1.9g), sugar (3.9g), protein (1g), vitamin A (2%), vitamin C (19%), iron (3%), vitamin B-6 (5%) and magnesium (5%). It also has many phyto-chemicals such as lutein, zea-xanthin and beta carotene.
- Prevent gastritis and bloating: It has adequate amount of dietary fiber that smooth digestion process and speed up the digestion activities. Healthy digestion helps to treat constipation, gas & gastritis and bloating. It is also beneficial for colon health and ulcers.
- Diabetes control: The fruit is helpful in breaking complex carbohydrate into simpler forms that can be easily absorbed into the blood stream, thus beneficial for those who are having sugar problems.
- Prevents cancer: It has right amounts of phytochemicals and antioxidants. Compounds like withanolides, flavonoids, vitamin A, vitamin C, etc. help to combat cancer, especially oral and lungs one.
- Boosts the immune system: The fruit contains vitamin C that is good to stimulate the production of white blood cells (WBC) and develops a mechanism to combat pathogens inside the body.
- Good for weight loss: Low calorie, low fat, no cholesterol but high in nutrients and fiber make the tomatillo one of the effective means for those who want fat burning.
- Improves vision: It is having vitamin A, which is the source of beta carotene that prevents muscular degeneration and improves overall health of your eyes.
- Increases the energy level: It raises your energy level because the presence of niacin that breaks down the complex compounds into simple forms from where energy channelization is easy.
- Low down blood pressure: It is good for your heart as it has fantastic proportion of potassium and sodium. Having adequate amount of potassium and lesser quantity of sodium is beneficial for cardiovascular system as potassium acts like as a vasodilator.
- Withanolides: A research report published from University of Kansas, USA where it has been confirmed that tomatillo contains 14 phyto-chemical compounds, termed as withanolides. These compounds can play an important role against melanomas, and cancers like thyroid, breast, pancreas and oesophagus. Such compounds are act like as chemopreventive
Mexican husk tomato is one of the most important sought after fruits in Central American recipes preparation. It has little bit lemon like taste and one of important components of Mexican recipes like tacos, burritos and enchiladas. It is largely used with soups, salads and sandwiches. The fruit increases the flavour of Salsa verde and also the important constituent of it. Its recipes are also used as quinoa, corn and tomatillo salad.
Precautions: A person having the condition of arthritis or any inflammation should consult a physician before taking tomatillos. It shouldn’t be eaten in excess amount. Always have this fruit in moderate quantity.