What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is characterized by small cysts in the ovary where the women experience reproductive, psychological and hormonal imbalances. About 5-10 % women are diagnosed with PCOD. Imbalances in hormonal production lead to increase the level of male hormone and insulin resistance. In PCOS, androgens are increased while progesterone is lowered, which leads to an increased in testosterone production in the body.c licensed ( BY ND ) flickr photo shared by Amy-amyjirsa_yogini
The suffering women face hair fall, pimples, infertility, irregular MC, weight gain etc. PCOD can also cause type 2 diabetes and heart attack. Yoga helps to balancing hormones by reducing the androgens and encouraging egg production.
Causes of PCOS
There are many reasons for polycystic ovarian disorder but the most prominent one is Stress. Some of the important causes of PCOS are:
- Stress & strain
- Highly ambitious women
- Perennial tension
- Modern faulty lifestyle
Symptoms of PCOS
Important signs and symptoms of PCOS are as under:
- Irregular MC
- Ovarian cyst
- Acne, pimples and blemishes
- Hair loss
- Baldness similar to male
- Abdominal bloating
- Frequent mood swings
- Hair growth on the face and rest of the body
- Muscles and bone enlargement
- Blood sugar imbalance
Consequences of PCOS
The risk factors of PCOD are as follow:
- Heart attack
- Anxiety disorder
- Uterine cancer
Yoga is good for PCOS
Yoga can play important role in the prevention and management of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Yoga is one of the important refreshing and rejuvenating modalities which can contend and even root out stress completely. Since stress is playing important factor in exaggerating pcos, so yoga therapy is effective in pcos.
Yoga poses such as asanas, relaxation exercises, pranayama and meditation are effective as stress buster. Yoga poses like asanas help to stretch the pelvic area and pranayama as well as meditation soothe the mind.
Yoga poses for PCOS
Yoga helps to regulate the endocrine glands in the body thereby beneficial in balancing of hormones. Yoga is effective in keeping your ovary and uterus healthy along with solve the issues such as infertility, weight gain and psychological problems. There are many yoga postures, which are good for PCOD. Some of the important Yoga postures are given below.
- Nadisodhan Pranayama: Nadisodhan Pranayama is also called Anulom Vilom, which helps to soothe your mind refresh your brain nerves thereby helpful in de-stressing the body. It brings peace and comfort to your body thus cure PCOS naturally.
- Bhramri Pranayama: It is the only pranayamas which control all the negative domains such as stress, strain, anxiety, tension, depression, etc. So, it is helpful in contending your mood swings.
- Meditation will help to stabilizing your mind and acts like as mood elevator and facilitates calming effect. Meditation brings harmony within the body, mind and emotions to control PCOD naturally.
- Bhadrasana (Butterfly pose): This is an effective asana for those who are experiencing PCOD. Butterfly should be practiced coolly and calmly. It helps to open up the pelvic area and promote relaxation. It beats stress and relieve menstrual discomfort.
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar): The twelve Yoga poses in the Sun Salutation is good to enhance flexibility in the body as well as effective in controlling hormonal imbalance. Surya Namaskar is also helpful in controlling of weight. Sun Salutation helps to de-toxify and de-stress the entire system.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose): Cobra pose exerts pressure on the stomach and helps to stimulate ovarian function. It has many advantages like improves digestion, bust stress, good for chest, lungs, and shoulder.
- Naukasana (Boat pose): Naukasana is good in case of PCOS as the boat pose put excess pressure on the abdominal region.
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
- Warrior pose (Superman pose)
- Supta Badhakonasana (Reclining Butterfly Pose)
- Bharadvajasana (Bharadvaja’s Twist)
- Chakki Chalanasana (moving the grinding wheel) helps to modify the endocrine glandular function thus enhances the efficiency of hormonal secretion.
- Shavasana (Corpse pose)
- Padmasana helps to stretch the pelvic region and good to control hormonal imbalance.
Diet for PCOS
- Focus on protein and fresh vegetables
- Eat low GI and GL foods.
- Eat natural based foods like egg, fresh fruits.
- Eat the good fats.
- Take balanced and healthy diet
- Eat foods, which are having enough fiber and roughage
- Avoid more sugary and carbohydrate foods.
- Low glycemic foods should be preferred.
- Low saturated foods should be given importance.
- More weightage should be given fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.
- Vitamin B6 helps to maintain hormone balance and good to control PCOD.
- Vitamins B2, B3, B5 and B6 are good in controlling weight.
- Foods such as lentils and chickpeas should be taken as it reduces estrogen levels.
- Foods such as nuts, seeds and olive oil should be encouraged as they contain essential fatty acid
- Use apple cider vinegar.
Tips to control PCOS
- Drink adequate quantity of water.
- Take fresh foods and fresh vegetables
- Avoid junk, fast and processed foods
- Avoid milk and milk products.
- Avoid coffee and alcohol.
- One should do regular exercise, Yoga and brisk walk to maintain his weight.
- Avoid faulty modern life instead focus upon soothing music, nature & scenic beauty, gardening, and spending time at natural place.
- Take fresh foods and salads