Mathematics has always been one of the popular subjects among students fraternity. Mathematics offers job opportunity in statistics, teaching, cryptography, actuarial science and mathematical modeling. A strong background of mathematics is required if you want to pursue your career for higher studies in the field of engineering, information technology, computer science and social science.
Mathematics Eligibility Criteria
To make one’s career in mathematics after 12th standard, it is required to pass 12th standard with physics, chemistry and mathematics (PCM). Now, the candidate is eligible to pursue maths at graduate level and for higher studies.
Career Options in Mathematics
After completing graduation/post graduation in mathematics, there is a wide array of career prospects in mathematics field. There is a demand of mathematics students in fields such as statistics, engineering, physical science, computer science, insurance, economics, astronomy, banking and accountancy. There is also a wide scope of mathematics in teaching and research fields.
Jobs in Mathematics
All the highest paying jobs are directly or indirectly related with mathematics. Mathematics jobs are available in both government as well as private organisations. In the government sector, mathematics graduates may consumed in government departments, semi-governments, PSUs, research organisations, technical branches, banking sectors, colleges and universities. Besides academics jobs, trained mathematicians are also engaged at good remuneration and package in Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), National Aeronautic Limited (NAL) and Society for Electronic Transaction and Security (SETS). Good opportunities are in specific areas such as financial mathematics and computing along with mathematics.
Financial Mathematics is the booming area where one can get one of the best packages in the industry. IT giants like IBM and Microsoft hired candidates as scientists where salary is beyond your expectation.
Teaching is one of the most sought after profession after Ph.D. One may appointed as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Reader and Professor in colleges and universities. Schools also offer good jobs for mathematics graduate both in the government as well as in the private sector.
Top Job Opportunities in Maths
Mathematics best job opportunities are available in the following disciplines.
- Operation research analyst
- Chartered accountant
- Software engineers
- Computer system analyst
Universities and Institutes offer Mathematics
More or less all the universities of the country are offering mathematics. There are about 135 universities, which are offering post graduate degree in India. Some of the important universities which are offering specialised mathematics are:
- Institute of Mathematical Science, Chennai (www.imsc.res.in)
- Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore (www.isib.ac.in)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai (www.tifr.res.in)
- University of Pune (www.unipune.ac.in)
- University of Calcutta (www.caluniv.ac.in)
- Gobind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology (www.gbpuat.ac.in)
- Madurai Kamaraj University (www.mkuniversity.org)
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore (www.dauniv.ac.in)
- North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon (www.nmu.ac.in)
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women (www.avinuty.ac.in)
- University of Madras (www.unom.ac.in)
- Bundelkhand University (www.bujhansi.org)
- Harish Chandra research Institute, Allahabad (www.hri.res.in)