Image courtesy of tungphoto at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Career in Radio Broadcasting
Burgeoning ramification of Electronic and Print media have generated exciting and lucrative job option in Radio, T.V, Advertising, Publicity, Newspaper , Magazines, Tabloids, Journals, etc. Radio broadcasting industry has its own significance and audience. Even in the age of ICT and LPG, radio and audio mediums get increasing and multiplying its listeners. Over the periods, the listeners developed a bond among the radio stations and presenters.
Qualitative inputs, excellent writing skill, perfection in works, meeting deadlines, good way of expression, and mastery over the medium of language (Hindi/English/Urdu/Tamil/etc.) are some of the very essential points to be a radio broadcaster and to make one’s career in Radio. As far as writing is concern, it is the soul of broadcasting system and one of the criteria to find placement in Radio Jobs. There should be command on writing. The broadcasters have to be very careful on the happenings both nationally and internationally. You have to be up to date from latest news and current affairs. For this, one has to go through different newspapers, magazines, journals, TV, etc.
He should have the ability to present even the toughest topic in a very simple and lucid manner so that the common man can understand without any brainstorming. Has the ability to work under pressure and deadline schedule.
How to become Radio Jockey/DJs
- For Radio Jobs employment, following are the important features are needed
- Having the ability to frame original ideas and stories.
- Excellent communication and Presenting skill are utmost important for Radio Jockey job.
- The person should be dedicated to his work, even in case of part time radio jobs.
- Calmness and coolness even in the tough condition should be his/her essence.
- Good broadcaster loves the public’s as they are the source of the stories and ideas.
- The DJs should have the knowledge of programme style and ethics.
- Covering story is important because which parts you have to keep and which one you have to delete, takes utmost care.
- Knowledge of equipments is important for the facilitation of the programme.
- You should well versed about Radio stations mechanism such as recorders, microphones, and editing software.
- He should have nose for news, interviews, programmes etc.
- Idea of past clippings is important.
- Self-confidence and determines are important.
Radio Job Course and Training
Graduate in any subject is the minimum criteria with nose of news, writing ability and performing in tight schedule. Post graduation or Diploma in Mass Communication or Journalism is the added advantage because in lots of places, it has become one of the essential qualifications. After completing these courses, one has to go through the audition test and vani certificate course in getting entry to public sector. There are many radio stations, FM channels, who recruits the broadcaster after having the qualities and criteria as mentioned above.
Jobs in FM Stations
Post Liberalisation, Privatisation and Globalisation (LPG), the scenario of Radio communication, and Radio Broadcasters have changed drastically. There is a mushrooming of FM stations both in urban as well as smaller towns and cities which has generated enough avenue for radio jobs in India. So radio jobs recruitment has opened great opportunity for the fresher’s. If one has the very brevity of way of expression, writing and creativity, it means the person is suitable for Radio jobs profile. In maximum FM stations, the Radio Jockey is paid handsomely on hourly basis. Since, the radio stations generated huge surplus through advertisement accordingly the employees, especially the Presenter, Announcer, DJs and Broadcaster are given fatty salary. In Community radio, volunteers are more important.
Importance of Radio Broadcasting
It is a source of mass entertainment and afforded by more or less everyone due to its cost effective approach. It is omnipresent and access from remote of the remotest region. Radio Jockey, Community radio, FM, Presenter, Announcer, etc., all are playing vital role in entertaining and giving valuable information to the public.